Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The 2012 empowerment ride was a complete success! Everything went so incredibly smoothly, and we raised over $700 for a great cause! The scenery was amazing, I met friendly folks everywhere, and I got a serious workout :) My gear, and my amazing Surley Long Haul Trucker held strong and carried me 900 or so miles, from Albany, north along Lake George and Lake Champlain, up to Montreal, East to Quebec City, south to the US border near Jackman, ME, and out to the coast of Maine from Bangor all the way to Portland. After my rain-soaked night on the coast, I spent the next evening in dry, warm, wonderful weather just outside of Brunswick. I headed in to Portland, Maine for my final night. I biked around the city and got to see tons of cool art galleries and beautiful Old Port shops and restaurants. I stayed with a great couple from Warm Showers, the Bouchers, who made a huge lobster dinner and drove me around to see Portland and the lighthouse down at Cape Eliabeth. And they let me do laundry, much to the relief of those who would have had to smell me on the train home otherwise. I got on a 3pm train back to Boston on Sunday, with my bike in the caboose. I then took a Fung Wah from Boston to NYC and arrived in time to get a good night's sleep before heading in to work the next day! What a great trip! I can't wait for the 2013 ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment